Monday 6 April 2009

Day 1 - Sunday Land's End to Nancledra

Walking 11.20am to 7.10pm
Distance walked 18 miles (should have been 16 miles)
Distance left 1059 miles




The off!

I know I can't have today's weather every day on this walk but it was just about perfect. A clear blue sky, sun and not too hot - Cornwall at its best. There were fields of daffodils, gorse flowering with that distinctive smell of coconut and everything so new and spring-like.

We arrived at Land's End, a drive of some forty five minutes, at about 11am. The obligatory photographs were taken at the famous sign post and I started walking at 11.20am. Whilst I would have liked to follow the coast path all the way to Minehead, I felt that this would have been too slow for this walk. I've done it before and will do it again but not on this occasion. This time, I just took the coast path to Sennen Cove and then headed inland. I went up over Carn Brea (an Iron Age hill fort, I think)

Carn Brea
and then briefly visited Carn Euny, the ruins of an Iron Age village, abandoned in 400AD. Then it was road walking (but very pleasant) for a couple of miles to Madron and then bridleways over Chysauster Iron Age settlement.

I was heading then for the site where I am now. There were many footpaths marked on the map but very few signed on the ground. The bridleway I wanted to take me in the direction of the site was closed and I was signed in the opposite direction. Consequently, I had to walk three sides of a square to reach the site instead of straight to it.

However, it was worth it. Higher Chellew site at Nancledra. It only opened for the season yesterday and I have it to myself. The fee was £10.00 but Glynis, the owner generously reduced this to five pounds as I am walking for charity. In fact, she has MS herself. The facilities here are good - the shower I had was 10/10 for heat! A site to be recommended.

Well, that's the first day done. I'm on my way!

1 comment:

  1. Yee Haa!

    So the pocketmail is working fine and weather gods are with you. Cornwall really is crap at inland footpaths. I am convinced the Cornish farmers get rid of the road-side fingerposts.

    Good luck Geoff.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.