Thursday 14 May 2009

Day 40 Thursday - Gaisgill to Morland

Walking 7.10am to 3.30pm
Distance walked today 15 miles
Total distance walked 578 miles
Distance left 474 miles

All I can say about last night's pitch was that it was quiet and very comfortable because of the height of the grass! I didn't even linger for my usual coffee and breakfast.

A footpath that I started off on passed across the site entrance. It rained quite heavily for much of the night but had stopped when I packed up. I headed off along field paths for a couple of miles into the village of Orton. Feeling a bit peckish, I presented myself at The George Hotel (sounds grand but was just a pub with accommodation) and asked about breakfast. Within a short time, I was tucking in to a full English, toast and marmalade and a pot of coffee - heaven! Orton is just off the Coast to Coast route and the George's trade comes from many of them overnighting there. I met Gordon from Australia (originally from Yorkshire) and his sister-in-law, Barbara, both walking the Coast to Coast. Gordon took a photo of me with my mouth full of food (Gordon, if you read this, please email me a copy of the photo when you get home).

I realised I'd been to Orton before. I'd diverted there when I'd done the Coast to Coast in 2001 - it has an excellent tearoom there. The village shop is also very good - well stocked and does sandwiches, etc. for walkers.

My route then took me over Crosby Ravensworth Fell and along part of the Coast to Coast route; I must have passed at least eight other walkers doing it. After that, I was following the course of a Roman road across fields passing through Sleagill, Newby and then into Morland - very pleasant and the weather was dry all day and became sunny into the afternoon. I was due at Michael and Caroline's in Morland at about 5pm and so whiled away a pleasant hour in the Mill Yard Cafe - a cream tea and reading the papers. Tea made with loose tea, not teabags. This is a gem of a place.

And so, I have a comfortable bed tonight, a decent meal and good company. My clothes have been washed and a resupply parcel to unpack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.