Sunday 7 June 2009

Day 63 Saturday - Aultguish to Gleann Mor

Walking 10.30am to 4.00pm
Distance walked today 12 miles
Total distance walked 939 miles
Distance left 121 miles

The Aultguish Inn is on the A835 Inverness to Ullapool road. As well as offering comfortable accommodation, there is also a well equipped bunkhouse. There are no camping facilities. The food is excellent and so's the beer. Couldn't fault the place really. Also, Lesley, who owns the place with her husband, gave me a generous donation to my charity.



Aultguish Inn

I noticed yesterday that I've worn through the tread of the heels of my boots. I hope to have them resoled so switched to the new boots I bought on my brief trip home at the end of April.

From the inn, I went east along the A835 for one and a half miles. At Black Bridge, I took to the road which heads north through Strath Vaich and then alongside Loch Vaich. There were a few passing showers but it made for undemanding walking.

Having covered ten miles, just before Deanich Lodge, I came across my first people of the day. These were two ladies from Wales, in the early stages of cycling from John o'Groats to Land's End, raising money for Macmillan Cancer Relief. I forgot to ask them their names or take a photo.



Deanich Lodge in the valley ahead

A couple of miles further on, I found a good pitch by the river, called Abhainn a`Ghlinne Mhoir. The rain torrented down not long after I'd settled and there are now frequent showers.




Abhainn a`Ghlinne Mhoir

The new boots have, as expected, been comfortable straight from the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.