Monday 24 June 2013

South West Coast Path - Monday 24 June

I think I may have saved a life today. I emerged from the tarp just after 5am and close by was a fox and a pheasant. On seeing me, the fox legged it, leaving the lucky pheasant blissfully unaware of its good fortune. I was away by 5.45 and within minutes was ascending Golden Cap, at 191 meters, apparently the highest point on the south coast. It certainly got the blood moving.



Golden Cap
The view east from Golden Cap
Then down to Seatown, where I stopped to chat to a man who is a carpenter and does work for the National Trust, making wooden signs and he has also made a large dresser that is in use at Montecute House. He was carrying a gun and was pleased to have ended the career of a fox that had killed up to eight lambs.

Seatown
The views each way along the coast were stunning and far reaching and remained so for much of the day. On then to West Bay, the setting for some of the scenes in Broadchurch. The Trailblazer guide recommended Ellipse, an Italian bistro (which also featured in Broadchurch) where I had some excellent coffee and a full English which set me up for the day. It was actually my second breakfast.

East Cliff, West bay
Looking back to West Bay
West Bay is nothing but a resort, packed with fish and chip and similar eateries but I rather liked it. The next few miles were flat and undemanding towards Abbotsbury. Passing by the Swannery, I began to think about a wild camp later on. The loos at the Swannery are to be recommended for water and posh pink liquid soap. I found that a Dyson Blade hand drier is no good for the face. Even though it was only mid afternoon, with water on board, I knew that I could pitch later wherever I wanted. 




At 7pm I stopped and cooked a meal as an energy boost. I felt pretty sure of finding a pitch and then a couple of good sites appeared but then I found the perfect one. A few dog walkers have passed by but, apart from some cows in the adjoining field, there's just birdsong. Walked 19 miles today. Tomorrow is Portland and Weymouth, which, with an early start, shouldn't be too bad.

East Fleet
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone







No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.