Wednesday 26 June 2013

South West Coast Path - Wednesday 26 June

 
 A bit of a chilly morning to start. I woke at 5 and was away by 6. As I'm ahead of schedule, I knew I could have a short day and had in mind heading for the Youth Hostel at West Lulworth, about 9 miles distant. Lots of rabbits about as usual. Passing through Osmington Mills, I snuck into the campsite for water. It looked a fine site but all of them around here seem so expensive (although I could do with a shower). Shortly after, I stopped by the path to brew coffee and have breakfast.


On then to Ringstead where I came across a wooden shack shop in the car park which sold hot and cold food and drinks (not mentioned in the Trailblazer guide). A mug of tea and an egg and bacon roll went down well. Here I met Andy Millard from Weymouth who was out for a couple of days along the Coast Path, camping. A friend of his is a Backpackers Club member and he showed interest in joining. He said to avoid the campsite at Durdle Door as the crows are very noisy. The Trailblazer book says, "You'll understand why a collection of crows is called a murder, because that's exactly what you'll want to do with them at 5am when they wake up".
 The trail started to get quite strenuous, and continued that way for a couple of miles. The views each way were glorious and it became very warm.


The foot of the steep dip by Swyre Head is called Scratchy Bottom and the signpost with this on is much photographed (yes, I did).  After another long ascent, the view ahead got even better, looking down on Durdle Door, St. Oswald's Bay and then Lulworth Cove. The area is very popular, as evidenced by the number of holidaymakers.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 I snoozed for a while overlooking the Cove and then made my way to the YH at West Lulworth. It was closed until 5pm but I was able to leave my pack there and headed off into the village. The pub was closed but an excellent pint was had at the Royal British Legion. On returning to the YH I was told it was fully booked by a school party. When asked why a notice to this effect hadn't been on display, there was no answer. Not impressed.
I'm now camped in a corner of a field a short way north of West Lulworth. As the firing range is in use, I'm taking an alternative route away from the coast.
      

I make no apology for the number of photos. The scenery along this coast is simply stunning (and the weather helped).
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.