Wednesday 25 June 2014

North of England Way Day 4 Wednesday 25 June

Just south of Staveley to just north of Thwaite on River Lune
Miles walked 11.5
Miles left 146.5
Walking from 10.30am to 8pm

Showered and clean shaven, I set off down the lane from the CCC site. It's quite a size and has its own pub and basic restaurant. The site was by no means full and was very quiet. I started today with a new pair of Inov8 Terrocs which I've had in reserve for over a year, bought at a good price when they were about to be discontinued. The sole of one of my old ones had split open and they were generally falling apart.
 I took a short cut through woodland to cross the A591 and then over a bridge below which was the single track line to Windermere. I rejoined the Way at Bowston. Just before Burneside, following the riverside path, I stopped to chat with four ladies walking the Dales Way. They were B&B-ing and having baggage carried and enjoying the walk very much. I passed a few other small groups probably doing the same. The way the grass was trodden, it would seem that most folk doing the Dales Way start at Ilkley and finish at Windermere rather than the way I'm going.  Burneside was the place to find some decent bread for lunch. I passed by the chain convenience store and made enquiries about a bakery which I believed was there. I was told that the lady owner's husband had just died and it might not be open but I'm glad to say it was. My bread rolls had only just come out of the oven and were too hot to hold. Burneside also has a pub and fish and chip shop. During the morning, I felt a lethargy and vague queasiness come on and I really don't know why. Walking with a pack was a bit of a chore but I plodded on. The feeling stayed with me for the rest of the day. The path was quite easy to follow although there were many stiles and gates. At Patton Bridge, my route book said that 50 miles had been covered but my digital mapping indicated only 48. Anyway, I'm well and truly out of the Lake District National Park.  As I was about to cross the A6 north of Kendal, I came across Dave and Phil, cycling Lands End to John O'Groats. They were collapsed, waiting for their friend with the support van to arrive and give them lunch. He arrived and kindly offered me a cup of tea which was a life saver. They're doing the ride for two charities - see http://virginmoneygiving.com/team/lejoggers2014 I was happy to give a donation.  



















On from there at a farm just across the A685 I met Emily Walker, waiting for the owners to return home to sort out where she could camp. I passed the time of day briefly but then she mentioned that she was WALKING LEJOG so I sat down and we chatted for a while. She hadn't met anyone on her walk who was doing it so I was the next best thing as someone who has done it before. She's walking for charity and blogging - see http;//emjwalker.blogspot.com 

Emily








































I crossed the noisy M6, stopped to cook a meal next to Crook of Lune Bridge. The light drizzly rain kept most of the midges at bay. I didn't have the stomach for all the meal but I needed to eat. The other side of the bridge, I walked alongside the river. I walked through some rather muddy woodland but that came to an end and I'm camped back from the river out of sight unless anyone comes down from the farm.  

Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.