Sunday 1 June 2014

South Downs Way Day 5 Sunday 1 June

Miles walked 15.

Was away at 6.15. Another lovely morning. Rabbits were everywhere. I dropped down to the village of Pyecombe, next to the busy A23 road to Brighton, only a couple of miles to the south. Here there was a petrol station with an M&S shop where I shopped for today's lunch.

Early morning mist over Pyecombe
There was a long shallow ascent up to the ridge again. Once at the top, there was a broad grassy expanse with great views to north and south. The path led up to Ditchling Beacon. Plenty of joggers and bikers about. At Blackcap, I stopped for elevenses and spread the tarp out to dry. Even with the night condensation it is noticeably heavier than when totally dry.



The SDW then turned south over Balmer Down. It then dropped down to the very busy A27 where I took on water at Housedean Farm. Crossing the road by a bridge, the Way led up and round a broad grassy valley with views down towards Lewes. It just hasn't been possible to lose the trail as it is so well marked. Also, as it is used by bikes as well as walkers, none of it is overgrown.

 





My day has ended at the village of Rodmell, where I am camped in a lady's orchard with a cooked breakfast arranged for 7.30 in the morning. Rodmell's claim to fame is that Virginia Woolf and her husband lived here. I really must read one of her books some time.

Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.