Sunday 20 August 2017

Hertfordshire Way Day 2 - 19 August - Great Gaddesden to Sandridge

Started walking 6.40am
Distance walked 18 miles 
Finished walking 6.10pm

I slept well although a deer, a muntjac, I think, barked nearby for about 15 minutes. I'm really going to enjoy this walk. So far, the path is well defined and waymarked. Coming into Markyate, a runner stopped to warn me of a young man lying by the path. I found him but he appeared to be OK, just curled up with a bottle of water beside him. Odd. 

Past Flamstead, the Way went over the M1 motorway, very fast and busy. I was glad to be on foot. Past Redbourn, I emerged unexpectedly into the garden of Redbourn Mill, which I'd not heard of. They grind their own flour and bake on the premises. I bought a sourdough loaf and an Eccles cake. The Aldi rolls I had with me will probably end up as food for ducks. 

Bread for sale!

Redbourn Mill
My next stop was St. Albans, which I hadn't visited for a very long time. It was buzzing. I did a tour of the cathedral and the street market.

I passed by Childwick Bury, a very grand house and the prosperous Childwick Green. Sandridge was hosting a cricket match. A mile past the village, I found my pitch for the night in a wood. I think it may be noisy with wildlife tonight. 



There are so many blackberries. I stopped quite often!

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.